It’s a trend I’m really happy for all the restaurants to get on board with. Sweet Potato Fries. It’s a no brainer menu choice for me. Which in my quest for no order envy, I’m not always a very good decision maker!
Sweet Potato Fries at home are an awesome snack. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, sweet potatoes are a great addition to a balanced diet, and frankly they’re delicious! So jump on board the sweet potato bandwagon with two feet! Sweet potatoes do tend to release more liquid and sugars in their baking than regular potatoes, so I find sprinkling them with polenta or cornmeal helps to soak up some of the liquid and keep them crisp! Along with a good dash of smoked paprika and chilli flakes, the fries are ready for the oven.
Sprinkled with sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil, spread the fries out on a tray leaving room so they get crisp! Cook in a 190 degree oven for 25 minutes, flipping them or moving them around if you feel like they need a little love and attention.
Now I’ve got no problem eating these plain as they are with a little Maldon sea salt sprinkled on top. But if you feel like a dipping sauce, put down the ketchup and stir together a quick Sriracha dipping sauce. Sriracha is the go to chilli sauce of the moment, a sweet and spicy Thai chilli sauce that is always in my cupboard. I’ve used creme fraiche here because I had some leftover, but the sauce would be just as good with greek yogurt, or even sour cream! Sweet, spicy, smokey and a little bit sour. Happy snacking everyone!
- 2 large sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbls polenta
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- small pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tbls creme fraiche
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp sriracha
- salt and pepper
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1 cm slices and then across into chips.
- In a bowl mix together the potatoes with polenta and spices along with a good slosh of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Arrange on a baking sheet being careful to leave enough space for them to lay in a single layer.
- Cook at 190 degrees for 25 minutes, flipping once if needed.
- For the Sriracha dipping sauce mix the creme fraiche, lime and sriracha together and season.